Are You Too Old To Wear Shorts?
With summer just around the corner, it's time to start thinking about baring those legs and throwing on those shorts. However, there is a school of thought in the fashion and style arena that believes once a woman reaches the ripe 'old' age of 40 she needs to start wearing long, baggy clothes and keep herself as covered as possible. No one really knows where this 'rule' comes from and why, but I'm here to tell you today it's completely wrong and you shouldn't pay any attention to the critics. If you want to wear shorts then that's what you should do. Style is a personal thing and you get to wear the things you like and the things that make you feel good about yourself, regardless of your age. But I recognize that for many of you that have been falsely led to believe that your age dictates what you wear, that you might be feeling a little self-conscious about breaking those 'rules', so here are some of my style tips to help you feel more confident about baring your legs in the summer months.
1. If I can see what type of bikini wax you prefer or what underwear you are wearing then your shorts are too short! Shorts need to have adequate coverage no matter what your age, gender, or size. Shorts are available in many different inseam lengths, so try different ones to find the best fit for you. If you carry weight in your lower abdomen, hips or bum, then a slightly longer inseam will give you a more comfortable fit.
2. As with any item of clothing you wear, it's important that you find the right size. Don't assume that you'll be the same size in shorts are you are in trousers, so be sure to try them on. Wearing anything that is too small is not only uncomfortable (no one wants a permanent wedgy), but it can also accentuate certain areas and make you look bigger. Ignore the number on the label and opt for comfort.
3. Remember that shorts are really short trousers and you need to get a style that works with your body type. If pleated trousers don't work best for you, then neither will pleated shorts! There are so many style options out there so make sure you try before you buy.
4. What you wear with your shorts can make a difference. Wearing cropped tops or tank tops may leave you feeling a bit too exposed, so try adding an extra level of style and sophistication by wearing them with a shirt or a camisole and a light-weight blazer. Shorts are very versatile so you can mix and match with other styles of clothing from your closet.
5. Bermuda shorts are a great option for those who don't want to show too much leg. Despite their previous reputation as an 'old person's' short, they have made a big comeback and are a big style trend for the summer. Bermuda's can be dressed up or dressed down to match your mood or activity, they even make a great option for the office (dress code permitted).
6. If you're not ready to go full short, then why not try a skort? Skorts have had a bad rap in the past but they have actually become a stylish option to have in your closet. The skort will provide you with more coverage than traditional shorts but are cool and comfortable for those hot summer days and nights.
Whatever style of shorts you decide to wear this summer, the most important thing is that you feel great wearing them. It doesn't matter what other people may think! Style is personal and you get to decide what's right for you whatever your age!
Need help with your personal style? The make a virtual style appointment now!
Shorts featured available from Zara.com